Sunday, January 16, 2011

The next step

I am seeing my surgeon today. We are supposed to discuss the next step. As far as I am aware, I need to have my RHS breast removed. However, Dr Edge recommended to have a bilateral mastectomy, as preventative measure, because I have a family history and also because I am still quite young. So from day 1 I have "prepared" myself for this mentally. All of a sudden though it is nearer that time and I am feeling quite anxious and scared. I guess this is normal.

When I saw my oncologist for the last time, she still said I am going onto radiation now. Until I told her about my decision to have a bilateral mastectomy, in which case I do not need to have radiation treatment. I then realized that I have decided to take this path but have never really confirmed it with anyone. So today I am doing just that with Jenny.

And then about 2 weeks after my op, I will go back to Irene and discuss the pill, Tamoxifan, that I need to take for the next 5 years. I am not completely sure when I will start this as Irene said there is a risk of blood clots if you start taking the pills too soon after the mastectomy.

No comments:

Post a Comment