Thursday, October 7, 2010

Alopecia*

I have been meaning to write a bit about hairloss (and some other stuff too). It has been a week now of covering my head and let me tell you, it hasn't been much fun. The highlight of my day is when I get home and I can actually take off my doekie. A great feeling! 

Because I am still trying to get used to this new look, I have not been out much – even popping to a shop does not appeal to me. I hate the stares of pity, really, it's crap! And to top it off, I cancelled going to a close friend's birthday drinks tonight – mainly because I know that I will just not fit in with the beautiful cocktail-sipping people. I need to work on my attitude, I know ;-)

As per my last post, I did go to the market and sell oysters on Saturday. I had my doubts as to whether or not I will be able to cope – not physically, mentally. I mean, I do not want that I-look-sick-because-I-have-cancer look. But it was fine, I had a fairly good day in general. My best friend popped in and stayed for quite a while. It helped having her there, in a weird way, it took the edge off the situation. Of course I had to tell a couple of people about the breast cancer (BC) because they commented on the cap I was wearing. And yes, some shocked faces and even more good wishes. Luckily we still sold out of oysters, indeed a very busy day!


*Alopecia:
– is the medical description of the loss of hair from the head or body
– tends to be involuntary and unwelcome (I'd say!)
– may also be caused by a psychological compulsion to pull out one's own hair or the unforeseen consequences of voluntary hairstyling routines
Chemotherapy affects all cells in the body, not just the cancer cells. The lining of the mouth and stomach, and the hair follicles are especially sensitive because these cells multiply rapidly, just like the cancer cells. The difference is that the normal cells will repair themselves, making these side effects temporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment